'The Kings Road' is just one of several Sixties City articles and pages that examine the birthplace of the 'Swinging Sixties' in London
The map is a stylised representation of the area and is not intended to show the precise relative positioning or sizing of premises
2-32 Peter Jones 1906: Occupying this site, but with an address listed as 'Sloane Square', is the Peter Jones department store, a business that began as a drapery store on Draycott Avenue (then Marlborough Road). It grew to occupy 26 premises on the Kings Road and was rebuilt as one department store in the 1880s when it was one of the first stores in the country to be lit by electricity. Purchased by John Lewis in 1906, it was rebuilt in the 1930s in its current style and is now a Grade II listed building.
11 Buzzy's Bistro
1962: No information 27 The Patio:
Boutique (early 70s, possibly 1960s) 29
- 31 Boots: No information
33 Don Luigi's Restaurant
1966: No information - The row of businesses at 33 were sub-numbered
49 Chelsea Drugstore
1968: The Chelsea Drugstore opened in 1968,
replacing the 'White Hart' public house', and was a three-floor 'chrome
and neon' complex styled on 'Le Drugstore' on Boulevard St. Germain
in Paris. With areas to eat and drink, dance and shop, it contained
a soda fountain on the second floor, news stands, record stores, boutiques
and (of course) a chemist. It was open sixteen hours a day, seven days
a week, and at one time offered a service where purple catsuit-clad
girls on motorcycles delivered purchases. It rapidly became one of the
road's top venues.
52 Unique: Boutique - no other information. Jean Machine occupied the premises in 1976.
55 Topper: "This
boutique has a beautifully cool interior in weird purply shades". 56
F.W. Woolworth 56B 'Unique' (Eric Shemilt c.1967?)
58 Russell & Bromley
80 Kenco Coffee House
(Kenco after 1962). The Kenya Coffee Company Limited was founded in
1923 by a co-operative of retired white Kenyan coffee growers. L.C.
Gibbs and C.S. Baines began selling coffee from a shop in Vere Street,
Mayfair, and moved to 30 Sloane Street as demand increased, next door
to a food merchants called John Gardiner. After World War II, Tom Kelly,
a Gardiner employee, persuaded the company to buy the Kenya Coffee Company
and he expanded the chain, opening 11 coffee shops including the one
in Kings Road.
81 Jean Junction 1976: Also see 161. 82 Mates 1967: One of the Irvine Sellar boutique chain. 84 Fifth Avenue Boutique 86 House of Bewlay: Tobacconist
85-87 The Great Gear Trading Company / Great Gear Market: Tom Salter, who ran the 'Gear' boutique in Carnaby Street, was also involved in the GreatGear Market that housed a number of establishments including, at various times, fashion 'shops' such as Marx, Tik and Tok's clothing shop, an outlet of 'Boy', Reflections restaurant and the Antenna hairdressers. A feature of the premises was a DJ booth 'cage' manned by drummer Rusty Egan. The Japanese fashion designer Yamamoto presented a fashion show there in May 1971 prompting David Bowie to ask him to design his costumes for the 'Aladdin Sane' shows. Jon Baker opened a fashion shop there called Axiom, in 1978, the same year as Stargazer started there.
88 Just Looking Nov 1967: Lots of mirrors and loud music inhabited this boutique which, like the Drugstore, was designed by architects Garnett Cloughley Blakemore (who also designed the revolving restaurant at the top of the Post Office Tower).
89 Blueberry Hill 1970: Boutique - Also see 303.
90 Chelsea Girl 1967: In 1948, Bernard Lewis was selling fruit & veg and knitting wool from a bomb site in the East End. Working with his three brothers, the business moved into clothing and, by 1965, was operating 70 stores under the name 'Lewis Separates'.
On deciding that the business needed 're-branding' it became 'Chelsea Girl' as the Kings Road was at the centre of UK fashion and popular culture at the time. It became the first real fashion 'boutique' chain with its use of bold colours and imagery, along with music, to reinforce the brand name. The menswear side, called Concept Man, was started in 1982 and this was merged with Chelsea Girl in 1988 to become River Island.
The Unity Restaurant 1950s: No information.
97 The Squire Shop: A late Sixties boutique owned by Jeff Kwintner. Kwintner was also the owner of a chain of 16 menswear shops, 'Village Gate' which, at one time, was selling 3,000 suits a week.
98 The Chelsea Kitchen 1962 - 2006: The restaurant was established in the late Fifties - certainly by the very early Sixties, as part of the 'StockPot' chain and was popular with stars such as The Rolling Stones and George Best. It was not an 'elite' establishment, but served 'good fresh home-made food at good prices'. It closed in 2006 and was reopened in 2009 at 451 Fulham Road by the son of the original owner.
Cleaners: Later moved to186a. 103
BRS Parcels (c.1958) Carvil c.1968: A clothes shop / boutique
operating in 1968. At- No other information.
107 Club dell'Aretusa 1967 - 1970: This was an elite establishment and allegedly the location of John Lennon's first public appearance with Yoko Ono at the pre-launch party for Apple Tailoring, held on 22nd May 1968. In 1967 Alvaro Maccioni had teamed up with Enzo Apicella and Mino Parlanti to open the large, members-only bar / restaurant / discotheque. A double-page spread in the Evening Standard asked "Are you one of the beautiful people? Simple test: Can you get in to the dell'Aretusa?". The establishment attracted diners such as Princess Margaret, Sammy Davis Jr, David Bailey and Twiggy.
Kweens Mini-Store 1960s: Boutique. Anne Sutherland, who worked there
in 1967/1968 has kindly provided the following information: "I
applied for a job from an advertisement in The Times newspaper. It read
'Wanted - super secretary for super job with super clothes'. I got the
job and started work in the attic as secretary to Mr. Frank Federer
and Mr. Henry Keith who owned a clothing manufacturing company based
in Bolsover Street called 'Keith Federer' which traded with the 'Kweens'
label. On the ground floor of the shop was a retail space and a door
to a stock room.
WALK 52 Quorum 1964 - 1969: Just off the Kings Road, at 52
Radnor Walk, designer Alice Pollock opened Quorum in 1964, to be joined
in 1965 by Ossie Clark and his future wife Celia Birtwell, who designed
fashions and fabrics respectively. The boutique was well-known for its
extravagant fashion shows, usually attended by celebrities such as The
Beatles. David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd) was a delivery driver for Quorum
for a while. In 1969, Alfred Radley became a partner in the business
in 1969 and Clark started designing for Radley as well as Quorum. The
business was bought out by Radley in 1969.
TRYON STREET 7-9 Just Men 1964: Owned by banking family
brothers Lionel and Brian Abel-Smith and managed by Charles Schuller.
Suede and leather suits, sweaters, flared trousers and tailored suits.
This shop also had an in-house hairdresser. Tryon Street was originally
called Keppel Street and was renamed in 1913 after Vice-Admiral Sir
Thomas Crapper 1907 - 1966 Laura Ashley 1966: T.Elliott
122 Michael's Man Boutique: No other information. 123/a Kendall & Sons c.1969: Builders and decorators.
124 The Magic Carpet
Inn (1950s) Alvaro's 1966 - 1970: Alvaro Maccioni's highly
exclusive restaurant - the first one ever to go ex-directory. London
Life: "The name Alvaro is whispered from the studios of showbiz to the
courts of royalty". He went on to open and run 'La Famiglia'.
Stop The Shop 1968: 'Stop the Shop' opened in mid-June 1968 with
a ground floor occupied by three 'revolves', one 20 ft in diameter and
two smaller ones each 5ft.The all black interior of the shop was
accessed via two peripheral ramps, one leading to the main sales floor
area ( raised about 18 inches above ground level ) and the other to
the lower level where the roughly circular space was dominated by the
central support column of the upper 'revolve', surrounded by an octagonal
Picasso Coffee Bar 1958: The
Picasso first opened in 1958 and was frequented by the likes of
Michael Caine and Terence Stamp during the Sixties. David Hemmings was
also a regular visitor during the filming of Michelangelo Antonioni's
1966 film 'Blow-Up'. The Picasso survived until February 2014 when it
finally closed, apparently boasting the same internal decor as it had
when it opened.
138a Bazaar and Alexander's 1955 - 1969: In November 1955 Mary
Quant, Archie McNair and Alexander Plunket-Greene bought the freehold
of the basement and ground floor of Markham House, formerly The Markham
Pharmacy, on the corner of Markham Square, for £8,000. The shop was
an immediate success, largely due to the fact that their inexperience
had them selling their clothes and accessories too cheaply, not only
affecting their profits but also annoying other local retail outlets,
a 'mistake' that was quickly rectified, but not before the boutique
had gained a significant reputation. The basement of the building initially
housed a coffee bar / jazz club called 'Alexander's'. After some of
her designs were featured in Harper's Bazaar and purchased by an American
manufacturer, Quant concentrated on designing and making more of the
clothes she sold rather than buying the stock in.
139 Ladies Wear: Clothes shop - no other information
FLOOD STREET 1-11 Chelsea Manor Studios 1902: The studios opened in 1902 and, from 22nd July 1966, was'home' to the photographer Michael Cooper, who occupied Studio 4 on the rear ground floor. On 30th March 1967 the photographic montage for the sleeve of The Beatles' 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' album was put together at Studio 4. Wax figures from Madame Tussaud's and other collage items were used along with the live subjects and the actual cover was a painting of that photograph. Cooper died young, in 1972, when the studio became a 'beauty school' and it was converted for commercial and residential use in 2002.
Kiki Byrne (143 & 145 Jaeger since c. 1966)
Contemporary to Mary Quant's 'Bazaar' through which some of Kiki's
early designs were sold. Owned by Kiki Byrne and her partner, graphic
designer Robert Brownjohn, and frequented by Susannah York and Grace
Coddington. Byrne was known for very simple, youthful little black dresses
and unfussy suits made with good quality fabrics in neutral tones. Some
of her designs were worn by Cathy McGowan on the TV music show Ready
Steady Go! She also created the golden bikini worn by Margaret Nolan
in the title sequence of the 1964 James Bond film Goldfinger.
The Electric Theatre 1913 Classic Cinema: The Electric Theatre
(one of London's first purpose-built cinemas), was built in 1913 by
the London & Provincial Electric Theatre Company at 148 Kings Road on
the corner of Markham Street. It was designed by Felix Joubert, who
also made miniature furniture in his premises in The Pheasantry, next
161 Dandie Fashions October 1966 became Apple Tailoring May 1968 The Rag Machine c.1972: Dandie was originally opened in December 1966, in South Kensington, and was owned jointly by Tara Browne and John Crittle with associates Alan Holston, Neil Winterbottom and Freddie Hornik. Fashions and tailoring was supplied by Foster & Tara, a business Tara Browne had set up with Pops and Cliff Foster, a father and son team.
Dandie moved to 161 King's Road at the beginning of 1967, by which time Tara Browne had been killed in the high profile car accident. The external mural decoration was carried out by BEV (Binder, Edwards and Vaughn) and was where The Beatles bought many of their clothes. The establishment also had a psychedelic multi-coloured Bentley, used to transport important customers to various clubs and party venues around London, that was commissioned from BEV at the same time as the shop front. Jimi Hendrix and David Bowie were also big customers and it was Dandie that supplied Bowie's 'Ziggy Stardust' outfit. Note: The shop and clothing labels were, at various times, named 'Dandie' or 'Dandy'.
Tailoring (Civil and Theatrical): From Thursday 23rd May 1968 the
premises were 'shared' with The Beatles' Apple Corporation, to become
their second 'boutique' outlet, that closed within a year. Apple's Neil
Aspinall and company accountant Stephen Maltz became directors of Dandie
as part of this agreement. The short-lived business was run by 25 year-old
Australian John Crittle and had a hairdressing salon in the basement
run by Leslie Cavendish.
Kleptomania 1966/7 I Was Lord Kitchener's
Valet 1967: Tommy Roberts, along with his wife Mary and his new
business partner Charlie Simpson opened the original Kleptomania on
10 Kingly Street, Soho, in 1966. The Kings Road branches at 164 and
106 were added shortly afterwards, but were short-lived as Roberts moved
on to open 'Mr Freedom' at 430 in 1968/9. Kleptomania handled Paul reeves
fashion designs under the label name 'Sam Pig In Love'.
John Michael 1957 - 1968: John
Michael Ingram's boutique was one of the earliest on Kings Road,
opening in 1957, only two years after Mary Quant's 'Bazaar' and were
one of the original retailers of the style that was to become 'Mod'.
He also opened 'Sportique', in Soho, situated right next to the 2i's
coffee bar in Old Compton Street. He built the business into a public
company by 1965 and by the following year he had opened 17 shops with
a head office on Savile Row. He subsequently started an export business,
selling his lines to the JC Penney chain in America and later went on
to design clothes for TV personalities, including Patrick McGoohan in
the cult TV series 'The Prisoner'.
Girl c.1970: Boutique - no information 186a
193 Steinberg & Tolkein -Theatrical costumiers (1993 - 2007)
211 Argyll House
1723: The oldest houses still existing in the Kings Road can be seen at
211-217, the oldest of which is Argyll House, designed and built by Venetian
architect Giacomo Leoni for John Perrin in 1723. The house is named after
the Duke of Argyll who bought it in 1769. It was occupied by society hostess
Lady Sibyl Colefax from 1922 to 1937 at whose soirees it is alleged that
the future Edward VIII was introduced to Wallis Simpson.
213 - 215 c.1725: These houses were added later in the 1720s. 213 was occupied in the 1930s by noted society interior designer Syrie Maugham (a daughter of Thomas) and, from 1948 to 1978, 'Third Man' and 'Oliver!' film director Sir Carol Reed whose occupation is commemorated by a blue plaque. Judy Garland and her family rented the house in 1960. Dr. Thomas Arne, the composer of 'Rule Britannia', lived at 215 during the 18th century and the premises were later occupied by acclaimed actress Ellen Terry from 1904 to 1920 and, more recently, Peter Ustinov.
217 Kings Road 1750: This house was originally occupied by James Hutton, one of the founders of the Moravian Church. 221 The Loose Rein 1976 Wine Bar 225 Millers of Chelsea 229 Albert King (antiques dealer?) (229 - 231 housed the road's oldest shops)
231 J. Middleton (art dealer?) 232 Old Post and Sorting Office: The building at 232 King's Road was converted and extended c.2007 to provide affordable housing, accessed from the King's Road to the side of the retained shop.
243 Robert Fielding: No information The 243 Shop c.1976: A boutique, previously a cafe / coffee bar. No other information
244 - 250 Board of Guardians
/ Chelsea Workhouse 1883 Chelsea Register Office until 1978:
The Board of Guardians' offices were built in 1883 and extended to Sydney
Street in1903-5. The complex also included a workhouse situated behind the
main building but sharing the same address. 250 was the old Chelsea Register
Office where Bessie Wallis Warfield married her second husband, Ernest Simpson,
in 1928, becoming Mrs Wallis Simpson.
It was the venue for Judy Garland's 1969 marriage to disco manager Mickey Deans, with singer Johnnie Ray as best man, just a few months before her death and also Neil Aspinall's (the 'fifth Beatle') to Suzy Ornstein before the official records and licence for marriages were transferred to the old town hall in 1978.
245 - 253 Chelsea Antiques Market: This conglomeration of shops and stalls was the site of the original 'Chelsea Antiques Market' until it changed ownership in 1991. Peter and Adrian Harrington bought the freehold but did not want to spend £5 million to redevelop it and sold the premises on. It has since re-opened. Pattie Harrison and her sister, Jennie Boyd, ran an art-nouveau stall called 'Juniper', between July 1968 and February 1969, and Emmerton & Lambert was a well-known 'second hand' fashion 'boutique'. Slightly confusingly, 'Chelsea Antiques Market' has more recently been advertised and reported as running at 135 Kings Road, the Antiquarius building, which was its main rival.
251 S.Borris 1969: After purchasing the shop from the man after whom it is named, Joe and Terry Heade ran S.Borris, The Sandwich shop, for 35 years, until it closed in 2004. Among its many notable customers were Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Yoko Ono, John Wayne, Lauren Bacall, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland and Christine Keeler.
253 Emmerton & Lambert: Boutique - No information 257 Cafe Jazz Hot 1961: No information 259 Green and Stone 1934: Art supply shop founded 1927 - originally based in the Chenil gallery
DOVEHOUSE GREEN: By the 1880s the poor state of the King's Road burial ground caused controversy. A mortuary was constructed in 1882 and the remaining area was used for the recreation of workhouse residents. After war damage the ground was redeveloped from 1947-50. The mortuary was demolished and most of the stones removed to develop a garden partly open to the public, The Borough re-modelled the garden in 1977, retaining mature trees and some monuments, renaming it Dovehouse Green.
264 Chelsea Fire Station 1965: The Kings Road Fire Station was built in 1965 by London County Council. It was previously an empty lot occupied by Park Motors, a used car trader, on the site of a regency terrace dating from 1810.
265 Take 6 1960s: Part of the Sidney Brent boutique chain
271 Clytie Jessop Art
Gallery: Art gallery owned by the British actress and film directrix
that exhibited works by many notable contemporary artists. Her first screen
role was as the ghost of Miss Jessel in 'The Innocents' (1961) and she had
minor horror roles for Hammer in 'Nightmare' (1964) and Amicus in'Torture
Garden' (1967). In 1986 she wrote, directed and produced the film 'Emma's
War', starring Lee Remick.
273 Stockpot Restaurant: The Stockpot is the one of the oldest restaurants on the Kings Road.
OLD CHURCH STREET 46A: Sound Techniques Studio 1964: Sound Techniques began its life as a recording studio in December 1964, when it was set-up by Geoff Frost and John Wood as one of the early independent sound recording studios in the UK. Artists that recorded there included: Pink Floyd (who recorded their first record here), Nick Drake, Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, Steeleye Span, Incredible String Band, The Pentangle, John Martyn, Beverley Martyn, Richard Thompson, Martin Carthy, Judy Collins, John Cale, The Yardbirds and The Who.
279 - 281 The Glaciarium 1876, The Palaseum 1910, King's Picture Playhouse 1911, The Ritz 1943, The Essoldo 1949, The Curzon 1972, Kings Road Theatre 1973, The Classic 1980
The world's first artificial ice rink was constructed in Covent Garden in 1844 and was a kind of 'prototype' for the first 'modern' indoor rink, The Glaciarium, opened by John Gamgee in Milman Street on 7th January 1876 and which moved to 279 Kings Road in March of that year. This was a sophisticated artificial rink created by using technology invented to freeze meat for transport. The site was occupied by The Palaseum in 1910 and renamed in 1911 with its capacity increased from 960 to 1200. It became the Ritz in 1943 and was remodeled in 1949, becoming the Essoldo until 1972 and renamed the Curzon, closing in 1973. It reopened as King's Road Theatre for live performances, notably the first live version of the Rocky Horror Show, closing in 1979 and re-opening in 1980 as the Classic, now CineWorld. It has also been, at various times, a Cannon and an ABC.
283 Sandra Shops / Mayfair
c.1967: No information
285 Marjorie Parr Art Gallery 1963: Marjorie Parr founded her original gallery at 285 Kings Road in 1963. Her early exhibitions included artists Guy Wordsell and Michael Andrews, painter John Hitchens, sculptors Peter Ball, Roger Leigh, Peter Thursby, Elisabeth Frink, Enzo Plazzotta, F. E. McWilliam and textile designer Tadek Beutlich. She sold the gallery to David Gilbert in July 1974 but continued to assist him at the gallery until the end of 1975. Gilbert renamed the gallery in March 1977 to the Gilbert Parr Gallery, which finally closed in October 1982.
287 Chelsea Book Shop c.1963: No information Raffles, a private members’ club named after colonial mogul Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, was founded in 1967 by Peter Evans, the restaurateur who is credited with bringing steak houses to London. The Peter Evans Eating Houses took over from Angus Steak Houses. Members included The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and Vivienne Westwood as well as Princess Margaret, Earl Snowdon and Lichfield, Barbra Streisand and Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.
298 Cadogan Arms c1680: This pub was built during the 17th century as the 'Rose & Crown'. The name was changed to 'The Cadogan Arms' when it was rebuilt in 1838.
303 Blueberry Hill 1970:
Electric Colour Co art collective was formed in 1969 by artists Andrew
Greaves, Jeffrey Pine, David Smith and Roderic Stokes. Andrew was to say
"It was originally supposed to support our fine art practice but became
so involving that it took up all our time". Late in 1970, among other 'boutique'
projects, ECC fitted out the mysterious and short-lived King's Road fashion
outlet Blueberry Hill, which lasted all of six weeks before the landlords
closed it and converted it into a betting shop. No-one seems to be able
to remember who operated the business or designed the clothes. They may
also have had a presence in The Great Gear Market at 89.
304 Alkasura 1969 - 1975: Lloyd's second Alkasura boutique (also see 380) was a favourite of stars such as Rod Stewart and Marc Bolan (a particularly good friend), and was where Bolan acquired his satin jackets in the early 70s. Lloyd was to develop a religious mania and apparently walked around local streets in monk's clothing before he eventually committed suicide via self-immolation. Previously National Westminster Bank? Later Osborne & Little.
312 The Chelsea Grill 1962: No information 327 Asterix creperie? 328 The Casserole c.1960 A trendy 'camp' restaurant frequented by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones in the early Sixties
328 Le Gigolo c.1960: A well-known Sixties 'gay' coffee bar/club situated in the basement underneath The Casserole restaurant. Gay historian Dr David Lawrence: “It was a long cellar and everyone would cram up the far end. The lights were dim. It was like a scrum."
329 Sunclean 1960s: No information - presumably a laundry / dry cleaners 331 Benton's Home Stores 1960s: No informationTHE VALE 1A: Robert Whittaker's Studio: Robert Whitaker photographed The Beatles over a two year period from 1964 to 1966. His photograph of The Beatles with dismembered dolls and raw meat was used on the infamous US 'Yesterday and Today' Butcher sleeve. He also helped create the underground magazine 'Oz' with Martin Sharp.
Bluebird Garage 1923: The Bluebird Garage was opened in 1923, designed
by Robert Sharp and replacing terraced housing. At the time it was the
largest in Europe, with room for 300 cars in the main garage. As well
as selling petrol and servicing automobiles, it also provided overnight
accommodation for lady motorists and their chauffeurs in the two wings
on either side of the main building.
Kings Road starts to take a bend to the south at this point, marking
the start of the area known as 'The World's End'. World's
End Map 1894
The Glaciarium (Milmans Street) 1876: The first Kings Road location
of the historic ice rink (also see 279). This site is now The Moravian
382 Ashford Wm.
383a The Globe
c.1881 The Water Rat: Site of The Globe public house in
1881, later renamed The Water Rat, which closed in 2004. It
has since become an Italian eatery called Osteria dell'Arancio.
385 Chelsea Police Station 1852: From 1830, V Division served part of Chelsea from a station in Milmans Street. In 1852 new premises were built west of the junction with Kings Road. The station was rebuilt eastward from that structure and opened in 1897. A newer station opened in Lucan Place in 1939 and was still in use in 2002. The 385 Kings Road station was then used as a community centre but replaced by offices and shops c.1985.
386 Wyatt Wm.
butcher c.1939 388 Mac Fisheries Ltd.
The World's End store (since 1980):
(1963 to 1966): A 'girls boutique'. Jonathan Aitken (of The Young Meteors)
said of it: "At 430 Kings Road ex-naval officer Bill Fuller, aged 33,
and his girlfriend Carol Derry, 26, sell the cheapest clothes in London
this side of Biba and have an unusual line in imported French style".
Freedom (1969 to Dec 1970): By early 1969 Thomas Steven 'Tommy'
Roberts was looking for a better business opportunity than Kleptomania.
He withdrew his capital from the business with a view to acquiring premises
in the Kings Road, saying "In the King's Road I could sell style, not
just knick-knacks to passing tourists". The owner of the 'Hung On You'
boutique, Michael Rainey, was a friend of his and had decided to sell
the business and the stock to finance a personal spiritual journey to
India, so they agreed a deal for Roberts to take over the lease and
stock for £1200, with a weekly rent of £25 payable to the landlord.
it Rock (Nov 1971 to 1972)
The Sweet Shop 1967: After success in selling her
own collection of knitwear to Quorum and the Kings Road boutiques, designer
Laura Jamieson opened her own boutique just off the Kings Road in 1967.
The premises were rented from the council at £7 per week and sold, amongst
other things, wall hangings, tunics and patchwork and applique cushions
of her own design and items designed first by Trevor Miles (who went
on to open Mr. Freedom with Tommy Roberts) and, later, Willy Daly who
had worked with Ossie Clark.
- 463 Saint John's Mission: The original church was situated on
Tadema Road. Open air services had been held in the area from 1873.
The permanent church was opened in 1876 to serve the new development
of World's End in west Chelsea. It sponsored a wide range of charitable
and social activities and worked with the Salvation Army. The church
was bombed in 1940 and services moved to the mission church, Saint John's
Community Church, on the junction with Blantyre Street. In 1973 the
parish was united with Saint Andrew's, Park Walk.
Hari 1968: Annette Weysom's women's-wear boutique. A 1968 photograph caption
mentions that 'next door to Mata Hari was Granny takes a trip', so possibly
at 486? By 1970 the site was occupied by Sunlight Laundry.
494 Cafe - unknown name (c.1970) 496 S.Frost & Company - no other information (c.1970)
500 The Weatherby
Arms c.1881: A public house significant in Rolling Stones history. Bill
Wyman: "The Chelsea section of London is important to me. I joined the Rolling
Stones in December 1962 at the Weatherby Arms pub on King's Road…."
502 Chelsea Scooters ?
ROAD: Lots Road Power Station
1905: Also known as 'The Chelsea Monster', Lots Road was a coal (and later
oil-fired) power station on the River Thames, becoming operational in February
1905, built to supply electricity to the expanding London Underground system.
The station burned 700 tonnes of coal a day and had a generating capacity
of 50,000 kW. At the time it was claimed to be the largest power station ever
built and it eventually powered most of the underground railways and tramways
in the transport system. The station is notable in the history of UK commercial
radio as when the first two radio stations, LBC and Capital Radio, opened
in October 1973 the
site for their medium wave transmitters was not complete. A temporary antenna
was strung up between the two chimneys until the permanent site at Saffron
Green was completed in 1975. The power station was finally shut down on 21st
531 Oddbins wine merchants c.1969 533 The Furniture Cave
535 Cube Records 1972: This was the headquarters of an independent record label launched on 26th May 1972 by music publisher David Platz and was also his UK office for Essex Music. The Cube label folded in the mid 1970s, becoming part of Elektra Records. The building has since been demolished and the new 'Plaza 535' building still houses the Essex Music group.
550 Stanley House c.1691: A building is known to have stood on this site prior to the 1690s as there are records of it being rebuilt about 1691. The current building, St. Mark's College, was renovated in 2002 at a cost of £10 million and has a copy of the Elgin Marbles in a frieze around the dining room walls.
575 The Adelaide Public House
c.1881 - c.1968? (later a bar called Lunasa)
601 - 615 Esso Petrol Station c.1968
604 Lighting shop c.1968 610
Crichton's (newsagents) c.1968 612
Tyres and Batteries c.1968 617
- 633 Residential?
All Original Material
Copyright SixtiesCity 2017